Secret World, Education Building
Conversion of the existing Goat House building to provide a new education facility, and the construction of a new link and extension to house additional service facilities.
The Market House, in the heart of Castle Cary, was built in 1855. The town council wanted to open up the ground floor to increase public use without compromising the building. This involved considerable consultation with the public, the local authority and Historic England.
The final scheme has been to enclose the rear Shambles with a new glass roof to create a public meeting space which kept the feel of the old market.
Castle House is part of Taunton Castle. Its medieval curtain wall, Tudor south block and Stuart east wing survived intact to the present day, but were in a fragile condition, and had to be stabilized.
The building is now converted into a study centre on the ground floor, with holiday let accommodation above. The repairs and new insertions were kept to the minimum necessary to express the original building and make it useful again.
Redevelopment of Museum and Art Gallery for Torbay Council.
The whole site and Grade 1 listed building has been reorganised to incorporate major museum and gallery accommodation, and gardens. It involves a new cloister walk and entrance building.
The project had Heritage Lottery and English Heritage funding and has been carried out in three phases, with a fourth anticipated.
Tyntesfield Visitor Facilty
The original 1883 estate model farm has been converted into a visitor facility for the Tyntesfield estate.
The main part of the complex was a large covered yard for the cattle, with an imposing geometrical roof structure. This now holds the restaurant and entrance space in a way that retains the qualities and textures of the original farm building. The visitor reception is a straw bale structure that has been hidden within an old barn.
A project involving repair, adaptation and conversion of an important complex, comprising mansion, early gardens, farm, farm buildings and stables.
Carried out in several phases to establish visitor facilities, holiday accommodation, entrance and interpretation building, site access and infrastructure.
Nailsea Tithe Barn
Repair, alteration and extension of a tithe barn, to create a community building and council office.
The 15th century barn had been converted to school use and became dilapidated. Original spaces have been retrieved and a new service extension added to provide fitting and practical facilities for the town.
The repair of a late 18c water mill and 19c barn at Hestercombe Gardens, and their conversion into an education centre. Old equipment has been refitted in the mill, together with an exhibition of early energy production. The barn has become a multi function education space.
The intention was to demonstrate how old buildings can be converted sensitively, and incorporate low energy modifications. The roofs, walls and floors have been super insulated, and the complex is heated with a log batch burning boiler.
Tewkesbury Tourist Information & Exhibition Centre
Repair, conversion and extension of a Tudor and C17th Grade II* listed timber frame building into a Tourist Information and Exhibition Centre, acting as a hub for other attractions in the town.
The scheme kept as much of the original fabric as possible, to which were added new elements. The existing building houses the main functions, and a small extension at the rear has unlocked the complex circulation requirements, gaining disabled access throughout.
A comprehensive repair of the coastal fort at the mouth of Weymouth harbour, and its conversion into a Museum of Coastal Defences.
Involvement started with a condition survey, conservation plan and feasibility study for the development of the fort as a museum, through to completion of the building works on site. This included the complete reconstruction of the earth ramparts, waterproofing of the gun deck and underground magazines, a new glass lift and shop.