Prior Park Dams Project
We have advised on the repair and renewal of the middle dam, masonry walls and associated culverts, cascade and walls, for the dam.
This has been a technically challenging project demanding close co-operation with the client, landscape architects, civil engineers, local authority and contractor.
The Bishop’s Palace at Wells was created by Bishop Jocelin in the early 13th century with Bishop Burnell’s imposing Great Hall added c.1280. Following the Reformation the Hall fell into disrepair, and further demolished in the 1820’s to create a then fashionable Picturesque garden. The Trust wish to re-establish the wall walk using the ruinous Hall remains, carefully interweaving existing walkways and spiral staircases with carefully detailed new walkways; allowing the building, landscape and city to be full appreciated by visitors.
Ring of Bells Inn
A 17th century Grade II listed Devon longhouse, of masonry, plastered cob and thatch that retained C15th & C16th features. Latterly converted to a public house, which suffered a catastrophic fire in 2016. A thorough analysis of the burnt out remains informed a sympathetic repair scheme to reconstruct a new roof and internal works. The pub has now been revived – to the delight of locals.
The Former Chapel
Repair and conversion of the 1818 former chapel, as used by the Tolpuddle Martyrs, into a quiet place for contemplation. Sympathetic earth ‘cob’ blocks and mortar repairs will stabalise wall remains. Blocked windows and doors are reopened and the roof repaired with a later first floor removed to regain the single volume chapel. A low key extension provides facilities for community events.
Tickenham Court, and the adjacent church, form a rare unspoilt mediaeval ensemble. This project has carefully repaired the 1470’s Hall and Solar wings and sympathetically reinstated the Oriel link. The hall’s arch braced roof structure, concealed in the 1950’s, has been revealed again following careful strengthening and oak repairs. Window tracery, leaded lights and ferramenta have been reinstated together with numerous masonry repairs. The fully pointed walls and limewash finish, create a suitable yet subtle texture that harmonises the exterior.
Redevelopment of the existing museum within the Grade II listed Slater’s Mill to incorporate an additional floor for exhibits and new lift shaft. Construction of the 1990’s Shires shopping centre had concealed the historic mill structure. This project has repaired and re-exposed the structure and simplified internal layouts to provide visual clarity and a sense of the original mill. Externally a new independant lift extension provides full accessibility to all floors. This Town Council led project has support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Friends of Trowbridge Museum and several other organisations.
Conservation and repair of the manor and farm buildings with renewal of interpretation throughout, together with upgrade of visitor facilities.
This includes a new entrance through the South Road Barn, the expansion of the cafe and kitchen in the stable barn, new toilets, and a proposed learning building in the farmyard.
Bridport Literary & Scientific Institute
Repair and conversion of the Grade II* listed former Mechanics’ Institute. A new courtyard link clarifies the two distinct historic buildings to create a revitalised community building with cafe, teaching & meeting spaces and start up offices.
The scheme restores the front elevation and resolves complicated access issues throughout the building. The insertion of a suspended mezzanine created vital additional office space.
Lyme Regis Museum
Redevelopment and extension of the Lyme Regis Museum included new gallery spaces, education room, visitor toilets, improved circulation, a shop, increased storage for collections and additional office space.
The intention was to reinforce the inward looking character of the original museum building, and create a new extension that opened out to sea. A second phase is planned to reinstate the missing three storey east wing.
Rural Life Museum
The redevelopment of the rural life museum in Glastonbury includes galleries inserted into the existing farm buildings without changing the sense of the place, and new circulation and learning spaces integrated into the pattern of old buildings.
The architecture was carefully co-ordinated with the exhibition design. Internal reorganisation was key. The main entrance through the farmhouse was re-established. The old courtyard was opened up and visitor access and flow improved to all levels in the building.