Secret World, Education Building
Conversion of the existing Goat House building to provide a new education facility, and the construction of a new link and extension to house additional service facilities.
Bristol Zoo Entrance & Shop
Bristol Zoo’s entrance reception had become cluttered and confused with the shop.
The resolution was to clarify the central pavilion as reception only with a new wing inserted discreetly to one side into a pocket of unused land.
The new steel framed pavilion responds in form, size and scale to the original classical 1830s lodges. In the longterm it can become a completely separate reception and shop building.
Bristol Zoo’s gorilla family is growing so their den space has been doubled. This has been converted from the 1872 giraffe house, and is equipped with timber climbing frames, an adaptable network of ropes and a splash pool.
Visitors are allowed to walk through the space in a new steel and glass hide, over which the gorillas can walk, making them predominant. A new extension for the keepers overlooks the gorilla island.
Tyntesfield Visitor Facilty
The original 1883 estate model farm has been converted into a visitor facility for the Tyntesfield estate.
The main part of the complex was a large covered yard for the cattle, with an imposing geometrical roof structure. This now holds the restaurant and entrance space in a way that retains the qualities and textures of the original farm building. The visitor reception is a straw bale structure that has been hidden within an old barn.
Tewkesbury Tourist Information & Exhibition Centre
Repair, conversion and extension of a Tudor and C17th Grade II* listed timber frame building into a Tourist Information and Exhibition Centre, acting as a hub for other attractions in the town.
The scheme kept as much of the original fabric as possible, to which were added new elements. The existing building houses the main functions, and a small extension at the rear has unlocked the complex circulation requirements, gaining disabled access throughout.
Hestercombe Gardens Visitor Centre
New visitor centre for an 18th century landscape garden, and a 20th century garden by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
It required the repair and extensive alterations of a stable complex to make ticket office facilities, cafe, shop, function and interpretation areas as well as external ramps, walks and landscaping to control and improve access and setting for the gardens.