The Former Chapel
Repair and conversion of the 1818 former chapel, as used by the Tolpuddle Martyrs, into a quiet place for contemplation. Sympathetic earth ‘cob’ blocks and mortar repairs will stabalise wall remains. Blocked windows and doors are reopened and the roof repaired with a later first floor removed to regain the single volume chapel. A low key extension provides facilities for community events.
Redevelopment of the existing museum within the Grade II listed Slater’s Mill to incorporate an additional floor for exhibits and new lift shaft. Construction of the 1990’s Shires shopping centre had concealed the historic mill structure. This project has repaired and re-exposed the structure and simplified internal layouts to provide visual clarity and a sense of the original mill. Externally a new independant lift extension provides full accessibility to all floors. This Town Council led project has support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Friends of Trowbridge Museum and several other organisations.
Bridport Literary & Scientific Institute
Repair and conversion of the Grade II* listed former Mechanics’ Institute. A new courtyard link clarifies the two distinct historic buildings to create a revitalised community building with cafe, teaching & meeting spaces and start up offices.
The scheme restores the front elevation and resolves complicated access issues throughout the building. The insertion of a suspended mezzanine created vital additional office space.
Charlton House dates from 1726, and it’s repair and reordering was completed in 2010.
An independent garden room and store building have been carefully integrated into the complex of existing dovecot, outbuildings and yards behind the house.
A five bay garage, constructed from galvanized steel and black timber cladding, is concealed in the neighbouring wood.
Secret World, Education Building
Conversion of the existing Goat House building to provide a new education facility, and the construction of a new link and extension to house additional service facilities.
Sherborne Castle Estate
This is the first phase of a five stage development at the Sherborne Estate. This phase deals with the conversion of the East Stable block for office use and the refurbishment of the stables to be opened as an extended part of the visitor experience to the Castle.
Bristol Zoo Entrance & Shop
Bristol Zoo’s entrance reception had become cluttered and confused with the shop.
The resolution was to clarify the central pavilion as reception only with a new wing inserted discreetly to one side into a pocket of unused land.
The new steel framed pavilion responds in form, size and scale to the original classical 1830s lodges. In the longterm it can become a completely separate reception and shop building.
Dinnington Manor Barn
A l906 listed barn, converted to open living areas and entrance court, with ground floor bedrooms.
All new partitions are differentiated by contrasting materials and colours to maintain the quality of the original spaces and surfaces.
Tyntesfield Visitor Facilty
The original 1883 estate model farm has been converted into a visitor facility for the Tyntesfield estate.
The main part of the complex was a large covered yard for the cattle, with an imposing geometrical roof structure. This now holds the restaurant and entrance space in a way that retains the qualities and textures of the original farm building. The visitor reception is a straw bale structure that has been hidden within an old barn.
Nailsea Tithe Barn
Repair, alteration and extension of a tithe barn, to create a community building and council office.
The 15th century barn had been converted to school use and became dilapidated. Original spaces have been retrieved and a new service extension added to provide fitting and practical facilities for the town.