Prior Park Dams Project
We have advised on the repair and renewal of the middle dam, masonry walls and associated culverts, cascade and walls, for the dam.
This has been a technically challenging project demanding close co-operation with the client, landscape architects, civil engineers, local authority and contractor.
The Bishop’s Palace at Wells was created by Bishop Jocelin in the early 13th century with Bishop Burnell’s imposing Great Hall added c.1280. Following the Reformation the Hall fell into disrepair, and further demolished in the 1820’s to create a then fashionable Picturesque garden. The Trust wish to re-establish the wall walk using the ruinous Hall remains, carefully interweaving existing walkways and spiral staircases with carefully detailed new walkways; allowing the building, landscape and city to be full appreciated by visitors.
Ring of Bells Inn
A 17th century Grade II listed Devon longhouse, of masonry, plastered cob and thatch that retained C15th & C16th features. Latterly converted to a public house, which suffered a catastrophic fire in 2016. A thorough analysis of the burnt out remains informed a sympathetic repair scheme to reconstruct a new roof and internal works. The pub has now been revived – to the delight of locals.
The Former Chapel
Repair and conversion of the 1818 former chapel, as used by the Tolpuddle Martyrs, into a quiet place for contemplation. Sympathetic earth ‘cob’ blocks and mortar repairs will stabalise wall remains. Blocked windows and doors are reopened and the roof repaired with a later first floor removed to regain the single volume chapel. A low key extension provides facilities for community events.
Redevelopment of the existing museum within the Grade II listed Slater’s Mill to incorporate an additional floor for exhibits and new lift shaft. Construction of the 1990’s Shires shopping centre had concealed the historic mill structure. This project has repaired and re-exposed the structure and simplified internal layouts to provide visual clarity and a sense of the original mill. Externally a new independant lift extension provides full accessibility to all floors. This Town Council led project has support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Friends of Trowbridge Museum and several other organisations.
Bridport Literary & Scientific Institute
Repair and conversion of the Grade II* listed former Mechanics’ Institute. A new courtyard link clarifies the two distinct historic buildings to create a revitalised community building with cafe, teaching & meeting spaces and start up offices.
The scheme restores the front elevation and resolves complicated access issues throughout the building. The insertion of a suspended mezzanine created vital additional office space.
Rural Life Museum
The redevelopment of the rural life museum in Glastonbury includes galleries inserted into the existing farm buildings without changing the sense of the place, and new circulation and learning spaces integrated into the pattern of old buildings.
The architecture was carefully co-ordinated with the exhibition design. Internal reorganisation was key. The main entrance through the farmhouse was re-established. The old courtyard was opened up and visitor access and flow improved to all levels in the building.
Secret World, Education Building
Conversion of the existing Goat House building to provide a new education facility, and the construction of a new link and extension to house additional service facilities.
Bristol Zoo Entrance & Shop
Bristol Zoo’s entrance reception had become cluttered and confused with the shop.
The resolution was to clarify the central pavilion as reception only with a new wing inserted discreetly to one side into a pocket of unused land.
The new steel framed pavilion responds in form, size and scale to the original classical 1830s lodges. In the longterm it can become a completely separate reception and shop building.
Bristol Zoo’s gorilla family is growing so their den space has been doubled. This has been converted from the 1872 giraffe house, and is equipped with timber climbing frames, an adaptable network of ropes and a splash pool.
Visitors are allowed to walk through the space in a new steel and glass hide, over which the gorillas can walk, making them predominant. A new extension for the keepers overlooks the gorilla island.