Redevelopment of the existing museum within the Grade II listed Slater’s Mill to incorporate an additional floor for exhibits and new lift shaft. Construction of the 1990’s Shires shopping centre had concealed the historic mill structure. This project has repaired and re-exposed the structure and simplified internal layouts to provide visual clarity and a sense of the original mill. Externally a new independant lift extension provides full accessibility to all floors. This Town Council led project has support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Friends of Trowbridge Museum and several other organisations.
The repair of a late 18c water mill and 19c barn at Hestercombe Gardens, and their conversion into an education centre. Old equipment has been refitted in the mill, together with an exhibition of early energy production. The barn has become a multi function education space.
The intention was to demonstrate how old buildings can be converted sensitively, and incorporate low energy modifications. The roofs, walls and floors have been super insulated, and the complex is heated with a log batch burning boiler.
Tyntesfield Education Building
The project converts an 1880’s sawmill, steam engine house and battery room into an education centre for the Tyntesfield Estate. It provides two learning spaces, an open air workshop, kitchen and toilets for practical courses and school visits.
The masonry shell has been repaired to retain the industrial sense of the place for the learning spaces. New services are contained in an extension, hidden in the quarry, with a thin timber tail that is woven back through the old building.
Hestercombe Gardens Visitor Centre
New visitor centre for an 18th century landscape garden, and a 20th century garden by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
It required the repair and extensive alterations of a stable complex to make ticket office facilities, cafe, shop, function and interpretation areas as well as external ramps, walks and landscaping to control and improve access and setting for the gardens.
This was the first concrete-framed building in Bristol (1905) and had many problems associated with that construction. An inventive plan allowed an economic conversion into social housing, with the complex servicing integrated around the existing elements of the handsome original building.
Detailed negotiations with English Heritage and Bristol City Council ensured a positive approach to the reuse of this Grade II listed building.