Tickenham Court, and the adjacent church, form a rare unspoilt mediaeval ensemble. This project has carefully repaired the 1470’s Hall and Solar wings and sympathetically reinstated the Oriel link. The hall’s arch braced roof structure, concealed in the 1950’s, has been revealed again following careful strengthening and oak repairs. Window tracery, leaded lights and ferramenta have been reinstated together with numerous masonry repairs. The fully pointed walls and limewash finish, create a suitable yet subtle texture that harmonises the exterior.
Conservation and repair of the manor and farm buildings with renewal of interpretation throughout, together with upgrade of visitor facilities.
This includes a new entrance through the South Road Barn, the expansion of the cafe and kitchen in the stable barn, new toilets, and a proposed learning building in the farmyard.
Conservation, repair and comprehensive rejuvenation of a vernacular Cotswold manor house, with a 900 year history, to make suitable as a 21st century home.
The Norman Hall, Old Stables, Ambulatory and garden have been opened to the public.
The project uncovered the historic character and spaces, clarified the circulation, updated the services, and resolved problems caused by modern finishes to older fabric.
Charlton House dates from 1726, and it’s repair and reordering was completed in 2010.
An independent garden room and store building have been carefully integrated into the complex of existing dovecot, outbuildings and yards behind the house.
A five bay garage, constructed from galvanized steel and black timber cladding, is concealed in the neighbouring wood.
The Market House, in the heart of Castle Cary, was built in 1855. The town council wanted to open up the ground floor to increase public use without compromising the building. This involved considerable consultation with the public, the local authority and Historic England.
The final scheme has been to enclose the rear Shambles with a new glass roof to create a public meeting space which kept the feel of the old market.
Castle House is part of Taunton Castle. Its medieval curtain wall, Tudor south block and Stuart east wing survived intact to the present day, but were in a fragile condition, and had to be stabilized.
The building is now converted into a study centre on the ground floor, with holiday let accommodation above. The repairs and new insertions were kept to the minimum necessary to express the original building and make it useful again.
Dinnington Manor Barn
A l906 listed barn, converted to open living areas and entrance court, with ground floor bedrooms.
All new partitions are differentiated by contrasting materials and colours to maintain the quality of the original spaces and surfaces.
A project involving repair, adaptation and conversion of an important complex, comprising mansion, early gardens, farm, farm buildings and stables.
Carried out in several phases to establish visitor facilities, holiday accommodation, entrance and interpretation building, site access and infrastructure.
St Margaret’s Almshouses
St.Margaret’s Almshouses had been burnt and left derelict since 1990. The scheme repaired and converted the remaining shell back into social housing .
The original 1616 pattern of walls for 7 houses was re-established and re-interpreted for 4 homes. New stairs and services are concentrated in the old chimneys positions that had been previously lost.
The Priest’s House
Repair and conversion of Grade 1 medieval house.
Repairs were complex and extensive and included reinforcement and conservation of ancient roof structure. A new kitchen and bathroom, as well as the introduction of new services, were designed for the building.