The Bishop’s Palace at Wells was created by Bishop Jocelin in the early 13th century with Bishop Burnell’s imposing Great Hall added c.1280. Following the Reformation the Hall fell into disrepair, and further demolished in the 1820’s to create a then fashionable Picturesque garden. The Trust wish to re-establish the wall walk using the ruinous Hall remains, carefully interweaving existing walkways and spiral staircases with carefully detailed new walkways; allowing the building, landscape and city to be full appreciated by visitors.
Redevelopment of the existing museum within the Grade II listed Slater’s Mill to incorporate an additional floor for exhibits and new lift shaft. Construction of the 1990’s Shires shopping centre had concealed the historic mill structure. This project has repaired and re-exposed the structure and simplified internal layouts to provide visual clarity and a sense of the original mill. Externally a new independant lift extension provides full accessibility to all floors. This Town Council led project has support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Friends of Trowbridge Museum and several other organisations.
Conservation and repair of the manor and farm buildings with renewal of interpretation throughout, together with upgrade of visitor facilities.
This includes a new entrance through the South Road Barn, the expansion of the cafe and kitchen in the stable barn, new toilets, and a proposed learning building in the farmyard.
Bridport Literary & Scientific Institute
Repair and conversion of the Grade II* listed former Mechanics’ Institute. A new courtyard link clarifies the two distinct historic buildings to create a revitalised community building with cafe, teaching & meeting spaces and start up offices.
The scheme restores the front elevation and resolves complicated access issues throughout the building. The insertion of a suspended mezzanine created vital additional office space.
Rural Life Museum
The redevelopment of the rural life museum in Glastonbury includes galleries inserted into the existing farm buildings without changing the sense of the place, and new circulation and learning spaces integrated into the pattern of old buildings.
The architecture was carefully co-ordinated with the exhibition design. Internal reorganisation was key. The main entrance through the farmhouse was re-established. The old courtyard was opened up and visitor access and flow improved to all levels in the building.
Redevelopment of Museum and Art Gallery for Torbay Council.
The whole site and Grade 1 listed building has been reorganised to incorporate major museum and gallery accommodation, and gardens. It involves a new cloister walk and entrance building.
The project had Heritage Lottery and English Heritage funding and has been carried out in three phases, with a fourth anticipated.
Hestercombe Gardens Visitor Centre
New visitor centre for an 18th century landscape garden, and a 20th century garden by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
It required the repair and extensive alterations of a stable complex to make ticket office facilities, cafe, shop, function and interpretation areas as well as external ramps, walks and landscaping to control and improve access and setting for the gardens.
St Margaret’s Almshouses
St.Margaret’s Almshouses had been burnt and left derelict since 1990. The scheme repaired and converted the remaining shell back into social housing .
The original 1616 pattern of walls for 7 houses was re-established and re-interpreted for 4 homes. New stairs and services are concentrated in the old chimneys positions that had been previously lost.